Colombia 1786-P SF 4 escudos
This specimen was lot 140 in Sedwick sale 12 (Winter Park, FL, October 2012), where it sold for $944. The catalog description noted, "Popayán, Colombia, bust 4 escudos, Charles III, 1786SF. Lustrous AU- with weak bust, parts of rims crude (as made) and minor laminations, scarce 1-year type." This type was struck at Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) 1775-79 and 1787 and Popayán 1773-83 and 1786 and is much scarcer than the accompanying eight escudos. The cataloguer called this a one year type, by which is meant that 1786 is the only year that Popayán struck four escudos at the lower fineness of .875. Spanish four escudos of 1786 are common.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.53 g, .875 fine gold, .380 troy oz AGW, this specimen 13.4 grams.
Catalog reference: Restrepo-68.18; CT-361; KM-44a.
- Sedwick, Daniel F., Augi Garcia and Cori Sedwick Downing, Treasure Auction #12, Winter Park, FL: Daniel Frank Sedwick, LLC, 2012.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.