Colombia 1782-P SF 4 escudos
This specimen was lot 11335 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $1,320. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 1782-SF 4 Escudos. Popayán mint. Carlos III (1759-1788). AU-53 (PCGS). Flashy light yellow gold with good luster and eye appeal. Some toning and a speck of crud near the date, trivial scratch in the middle of the right obverse field, well-hidden scrape at right top of shield on the reverse. A good looking example. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins. From Hans M.F. Schulman's sale of the Eduard Kann Collection, June 1971, lot 2396." The old bust of Ferdinand VI used at Popayan was finally retired in 1771, twelve years after his death. The "standard" bust of Charles III was introduced on the one, two and eight escudos in 1772 and the four escudos in 1773. The regime also took the opportunity to reduce the purity from .917 to .901 fine gold, with another reduction to .875 in 1785. This type is listed for Popayan 1773, 1776-83 and Bogota 1775-79.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.53 g, .901 fine gold, .392 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 44, Fr-38, Restrepo M68.14.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.