Colombia 1781-P SF 8 escudos
This specimen was lot 11201 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $5,400. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 1781-SF 8 Escudos. Popayán mint. Carlos III (1759-1788). MS-62 (PCGS). An exceptional specimen, unquestionably among the finest known. Bright luster radiates from both sides, particularly flashy and reflective on the reverse. The color is rich medium yellow gold, splashed with hints of copper toning around the peripheries. Well struck on both sides, with only minor chatter keeping this from a higher grade. No finer specimen has been offered since this piece was acquired at the 1997 Norweb sale and there may not be a better example extant. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins. From Spink America's sale of the Norweb Collection, March 1997, lot 368." This "standard bust" eight escudos, struck 1772-84, superseded the "rat nose" bust used at Bogotá 1762-71. The Popayán mint also adopted the new bust, dropping the old bust of the prior king, Ferdinand VI, used until 1771. The type marked a debasement from .917 fine to .901 fine gold.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .901 fine gold, .784 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 50.2, Fr-36, Restrepo M73.28.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.