Colombia 1781-P SF 2 escudos
This specimen was lot 3802 in Goldberg sale 69 (Los Angeles, May, 2012), where it did not sell. The catalog description  noted, "Colombia. 2 Escudos, 1781-SF (Popayán). Charles III. Older standard bust to right. Reverse: Large crowned Hapsburg arms, within chain of the Order of the Golden Fleece. Mint mark at lower left and assayers' initials at lower right, separated by fleece. Value 2- S at left and right of shield. NGC graded EF-45." This type was issued at Popayán in 1772-84 is among the more available two escudos of the colonial period. The contemporary silver issues are very rare. This specimen appears to be the 1781/0 overdate mentioned in the SCWC but is not awarded any premium therein.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.77 g, .901 fine gold, .196 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-40; KM-49.2.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, Stephen Harvey and Paul Rynearson, Goldberg sale 69: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Ancient and World Coins, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2012.