Colombia 1780-P SF 8 escudos
This specimen was lot 29540 in Heritage sale 3042 (Long Beach, September 2015), where it sold for $1,233.75. The catalog description noted, "Charles III gold 8 Escudos 1781 P-SF XF45 PCGS, Popayán mint, Wholesome looking with even wear throughout and rather attractive surface quality, a couple of moderate rim nicks being mentioned for accuracy. Scarce in this unflawed preservation." The type was struck in Popayán in Nueva Granada (now Colombia) 1772-84 (later dates were .875 fine). Assayer SF is noted for 1776-92. Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) and its neighbor Popayán were the most prolific issuers of gold coins during the colonial period and this coin is common.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .901 fine gold, .784 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM50.2, Onza-814.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World Coin Auction 3042, featuring the Read and Bob Bennett Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2015.
- 1779-P 8 escudos
- 1780-NR 2 reales
- 1780-NR escudo
- 1780-P escudo
- 1780-NR 2 escudos
- 1780-P 2 escudos
- 1780-P 4 escudos
- Bolivia 1780-PTS PR 8 escudos
- Chile 1780-So DA 8 escudos
- Mexico 1780-Mo FF 8 escudos
- Peru 1780-L MI 8 escudos
- 1780-NR 8 escudos
- 1781-NR 8 escudos
- Coins and currency dated 1780
- return to coins of Colombia