Colombia 1779-P SF 4 escudos
This specimen was lot 12069 in Ponterio sale 169 (Baltimore, November 2012), where it sold for $1,175. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 4 Escudos, 1779-SF. Popayán Mint. Charles III (1759-88). EXTREMELY FINE." This type was struck at Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) 1775-79 and Popayán 1773-83 and is much scarcer than the accompanying eight escudos. Later issues of Charles III (1786-87) were only .875 fine instead of .901 fine gold.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.53 g, .901 fine gold, .392 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-38; KM-44.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 169: The November 2012 Baltimore Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2012.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, vol. 1, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.