Colombia 1777-NR JJ 2 escudos
The first specimen was lot 24363 in Heritage sale 3026 (Long Beach, October 2013), where it sold for $705. The catalog description noted, "Carlos III gold 2 Escudos 1777/6-JJ Nuevo Reino, AU58 NGC, an attractive and fully original example with toned surfaces and well-struck details, scarce type and grade." The second specimen was lot 40174 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Philadelphia, August 2018), where it sold for $432. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 1777-JJ 2 Escudos. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Carlos III (1759-1788). AU-50 (PCGS). Medium yellow gold with a blush of rose around the lustrous peripheries. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian Coins. Ex. Hans M.F. Schulman, March 1969." This type was struck at Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) and Popayán 1772-84 and is probably the most common two escudos of colonial Latin America.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.77 g, .901 fine gold, .196 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 49.2.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3026, World & Ancient Coins, featuring the RLM Collection, Part Two, the Nogales Collection and the Goetz Medals Die Archive, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2018 Philadelphia ANA Auction: World Coins and Selections from the El Dorado Collection of Colombian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.