Colombia 1773-NR VJ 1/2 real
Colombia. Restrepo recorded only one known pillar half real, a 1760NR. The Colombian mints (Popayán and Nuevo Reino, now Bogotá) were prolific issuers of gold but little silver prior to about 1810. The specimen shown was lot 1027 in Sedwick sale 11 (Winter Park, FL, April 2011), where it sold for $6,612.50. The catalog description noted,
"Bogotá, Colombia, bust 1/2 real, Charles III, 1773VJ (no dot), rare, Restrepo plate coin, ex-Whittier (NGC AU55), ex-Ray Johnson, finest known. Deeply toned and boldly struck, graded AU by NGC (with original tag, as Ortiz Murias removed the slab), exceptional quality and in fact the finest known Colombian 1/2 real of Charles III, heavily pedigreed and important specimen of a key rarity. Plate coin in Restrepo's Monedas de Colombia (2009), and pedigreed to the Whittier (stated on NGC tag) and Ray Johnson collections. Jorge Ortiz Murias collection of Colombian colonial minors."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 1.69 g, .903 fine silver, .049 troy oz ASW, this specimen 1.5 grams.
Catalog reference: KM-45.1; Restrepo-32.3; CT-1825.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Sedwick, Daniel Frank, Augi Garcia and Cori Sedwick Downing, Treasure Auction 11, Winter Park, FL: Daniel Frank Sedwick LLC, 2012.