Colombia 1768-PN J 8 escudos
This specimen was lot 30629 in Heritage sale 3049 (Long Beach, September 2016), where it sold for $1,762.50. The catalog description noted, "Charles III gold 8 Escudos 1768/7 PN-J VF20 NGC, Popayan mint. Notable as a scarce, early bust style that shows the King wearing a flowing peruke, with darkened-honey surfaces affected by more moderate wear that centers on the bust and gradually lessens as it reaches the outer registers. The reverse design appears to have an even distribution of circulation and both sides contain handling marks that scatter throughout the fields. Additionally, the 8/7 overdate is easily identifiable even to the unaided eye. Still very much a coveted type when encountered at this level of quality." This type was struck 1760-71; the bust of Charles III was not adopted until 1772 at Popayán. Only the overdate is listed for 1768.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .917 fine gold, .798 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-12796 (overdate), KM 38.2.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World Coin Auction 3049, featuring the Ohio Valley Collection, the Redwood Collection and the F.P. Briand Collection, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2016.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.