Colombia 1768-NR JV 8 escudos
This specimen was lot 11166 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $2,880. The catalog description noted, "Calicó Onza Book Plate Coin. COLOMBIA. 1768-JV 8 Escudos. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Carlos III (1759-1788). AU Detail — Damage (PCGS). Light yellow gold with superb sharpness and a good deal of luster. Marked with scattered deep cuts, including one in the right obverse field, another near the hair tie, and others of less consequence across both sides. The reverse is a bit cloudy or matte in areas, and a number of abrasions and scuffs are hidden within the central reverse design, but the visual appeal remains quite good all things considered. This is the plate coin in the Calicó Onza book and is very elusive in any grade. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins. From RARCOA's 1980 CICF sale, May 1980, lot 118." This type was struck 1762-71 at Nuevo Reino (Bogotá, mintmark "NR"). A 1768/7 overdate is noted. The neighboring Popayán mint minted eight escudos at the same time but used the bust of Ferdinand VI (KM 38.2, struck 1760-71).
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .917 fine gold, .798 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-12795, KM 41, Fr-31, Restrepo M71.12.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.