Colombia 1767-PN J 8 escudos
"COLOMBIA. 1767-J 8 Escudos. Popayán mint. Carlos III (1759-1788). Restrepo M70.9. EF-45 (PCGS). Rich medium yellow gold with deeper color and good luster around design elements. The rims are a bit crude, showing both softness of strike and scattered marks and abrasions. Other tiny marks are noted on both sides, and a thin hairline scratch stretches from the truncation of the bust to between IND and REX. The reverse die is broken near the collar below M of MAGNA, marking it as the same reverse die that was used on the 1762-J and 1763/2-J 8 Escudos offered in the current sale. No coins of this denomination were struck at Popayán between 1763 and 1767, and the die looks to be in more or less the same die state even four years later. An attractive circulated specimen of this scarce type. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins. From Christie's Geneva sale of the Kurt Homme Collection, November 25-26, 1981, lot 700."The Popayan mint never adopted the "rat nose" bust of Charles III as the Bogota mint did, preferring to use the bust of his dead half brother Ferdinand. The issues of this mint, tho expensive, are more available than that of Bogota during this decade.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .917 fine gold, .798 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-12787, KM 38.2, Fr-24, Restrepo M71.10a.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.