Colombia 1767-NR JV 2 escudos
This specimen was lot 40144 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Philadelphia, August 2018), where it sold for $7,800. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 1767-JV 2 Escudos. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Carlos III (1759-1788). MS-62 (PCGS). An absolutely beautiful piece, the finest rat nose two Escudos in this collection in terms of preservation. Boldly lustrous over the rich deep yellow gold surfaces. The devices are uniformly well struck and well detailed. No significant marks are seen, just some subtle hairlines. A thin die crack crosses the top of the crown, and a circular but seemingly natural low spot is barely visible in the right light below TR of UTROQ. An exciting specimen that likely ranks with the best of the issue. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian Coins. Ex. Amon Carter, August 1974." This specimen is one of a series struck 1762-71 at the Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint, which switched to the "rat nose" bust midway thru 1762. While the two escudos is a rare denomination for Mexico, it is common for the Colombian mints tho the "rat nose" style is scarce.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.77 g, .917 fine gold, .199 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM 40, Fr-33, Restrepo 60.12.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2018 Philadelphia ANA Auction: World Coins and Selections from the El Dorado Collection of Colombian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.