Colombia 1766-NR JV 2 escudos
This specimen was lot 20683 in Heritage sale 3010 (Boston, August 2010), where it sold for $2,415. The catalog description noted, "Carlos III gold 2 Escudos 1766JV Nuevo Reino, XF45 NGC, nicely struck with no adjustment marks, very scarce type. The final 6 in the date is punched over a 5." The "rat-nose" bust of Charles III was used at Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) 1762-71 but never at Popayán which continued with the bust of Ferdinand VI until 1771.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.77 g, .917 fine gold, .199 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 40.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Tucker, Warren, Scott Cordry and John Kraljevich, Heritage Sale 3010: World Coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2010.