Colombia 1763-PN J 8 escudos
This specimen was lot 11159 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $4,320. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 1763/2-J 8 Escudos. Popayán mint. Carlos III (1759-1788). AU-55 (PCGS). Lustrous light yellow gold with flashes of reflective luster in protected areas. Portions of the legend are a bit soft at their tops, but the central strike is bold. Both sides show many tiny marks and trivial hairlines, but none are individually notable. The reverse die is broken outside the collar below M of MAGNA, a break also seen on the 1762-J piece in this collection that was struck from the same reverse die. The overdate characteristic is easily seen under low magnification. This is a very elusive date in the series, called 'very rare' in the Calicó Onza book and 'rare' by Restrepo. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins. From Don Canaparo, March 1981." The Popayan mint never adopted the "rat nose" bust of Charles III as the Bogota mint did, preferring to use the bust of his dead half brother Ferdinand. The issues of this mint, tho expensive, are more available than that of Bogota during this decade.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .917 fine gold, .798 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 38.2, Fr-24, Restrepo M70.6.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.