Colombia 1762-NR JV 8 escudos Fr-31
"Beautiful 1762 Santa Fe 8 Escudos. The First to Depict Carlos III. COLOMBIA. 1762-JV 8 Escudos. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Carlos III (1759-1788). AU-58 (PCGS). No pellet between JV. An exceptional specimen of this rare issue, historically important as the first to depict Carlos III and desirable as a high grade example of the "rat nose" type. The elusiveness of this date adds to its importance. None was found in Karon, Eliasberg, Caballero de las Yndias, Norweb, Ortiz, or Numismatica Ars Classica's Auction 22. The Huntington coin was a bit worn, bringing a hammer price of 3800 pounds, and the Isabel Trastamara coin was in similar grade. This piece is struck from the same dies as those two but is better preserved, with intact luster over choice frosty light yellow gold surfaces. The strike and centering are ideal, and no notable flaws are seen on either side. A reverse die crack connects OQ to FE on the left side. An exceptionally nice piece, one that undoubtedly ranks among the very finest extant. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins. From Mike Dunigan, May 1991."This type was struck at Bogotá 1762-71. Unlike later dates (after 1772), these early issues are rare. An eight escudos using the old bust of Ferdinand also exists for 1762 (Fr-23); this bust was used at Popayan until 1772.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .917 fine gold, .798 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-12752, KM 41, Fr-31, Restrepo M71.1a.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.
- 1761-PN 8 escudos
- 1762-PN escudo
- 1762-NR 2 escudos
- 1762-PN 2 escudos
- 1762-PN 4 escudos
- Chile 1762-So J 8 escudos
- 1762-NR 8 escudos, bust of Ferdinand
- 1762-PN 8 escudos
- Mexico 1762-Mo MM 8 escudos
- Peru 1762-L JM 8 escudos
- Spain 1762-S JV 8 escudos
- 1763-PN 8 escudos
- Coins and currency dated 1762
- return to coins of Colombia