Colombia 1760-NR JV 1/2 real
"Unique 1760-JV Half Real of Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino. The Only Known Pillar Half Real of Colombia. COLOMBIA. 1760-JV 1/2 Real. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Carlos III (1759-1788). VF-30 (PCGS). Medium silver gray and attractive for the grade, with a scattering of old dirt across the fields of both sides. The devices are a bit bright, and some trivial lines are seen, along with a mark on the rim below H at 6:00 on the reverse. A dark stain is noted between QU of QUE atop the obverse. The obverse die is cracked below 176 of the date, perhaps from the die clash that left its incuse evidence between the 7 and 6.
One of the most important of all colonial coins of Colombia, this is the only known Colombian 1/2 Real of the Pillar type from any date or mint. Gilboy cites Burzio and Medina, who noted that 1/2 Reales of the Pillar type were only authorized in this single year. This appears to be the only example of this coinage to have survived in any collection, meaning this issue is missing from every museum and institutional collection as well as all other private cabinets. It is illustrated in Restrepo, Gilboy, and Calicó. Its sole auction offering was in the famous 1991 Ortiz sale, 27 years ago. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins. From Swiss Bank Corp (Basel)'s Auktion 27 of the Emilio Ortiz Collection, September 1991, lot 253."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 3.38 g, .917 fine silver, .196 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-unlisted, KM A45; Restrepo 30.1. Gilboy SF-05-1.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Gilboy, Frank F., The Milled Columnarios of Central and South America: Spanish American Pillar Coinage, 1732 to 1772, Regina, Saskatchewan: Prairie Wind Publishing, 1999.
- Yonaka, Brad, A Variety Guide to the Pillar Coinage of the Guatemala, Bogota, Lima, Potosi, and Santiago Mints, 1752-1771, Long Beach, CA: Agorocu Consulting, 2018.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- 1759-NR 8 reales
- 1760-NR real
- 1760 8 reales
- 1760-PN escudo
- 1760-NR J 2 escudos, Ferdinand VI
- 1760-PN J 2 escudos, Ferdinand VI
- 1760-NR JV 2 escudos, Charles III
- 1760-NR J 2 escudos, Charles III
- 1760-PN 4 escudos, Ferdinand VI
- 1760-PN 4 escudos, Charles III
- 1760-NR 8 escudos, Ferdinand VI
- 1760-NR 8 escudos, Charles III
- return to coins of Colombia
- Coins and currency dated 1760