Colombia 1759-PN J 8 escudos
This specimen was lot 30627 in Heritage sale 3049 (Long Beach, September 2016), where it sold for $1,880. The catalog description noted, "Ferdinand VI gold 8 Escudos 1759 PN-J VF30 NGC, Popayan mint. A broad example with vivid golden centers and autumnal-red color that haloes the outer registers. For the most part, wear is evenly distributed across the portrait, with some of the King's hair detail showing the typical softness often encountered on this issue. Small areas of planchet lamination are detected beneath the obverse bust and on the reverse near the mintmark. Still very attractive at this level, and collectible as such." This type was struck 1758-60 and is out of the reach of the average collector.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .917 fine gold, .798 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-10920, KM 32.2.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World Coin Auction 3049, featuring the Ohio Valley Collection, the Redwood Collection and the F.P. Briand Collection, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2016.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.