Colombia 1758-NR J 4 escudos
This specimen was lot 11312 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $2,640. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 1758-J 4 Escudos. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Ferdinand VI (1746-1759). AU-50 (PCGS). Attractive deep orange toning highlights and traces of reddish encrustation blend around devices, contrasting with deep yellow surfaces. Ideally centered and well struck. Some traces of luster persist around the peripheries. The obverse shows some evidence of planchet adjustment, with one vertical adjustment mark extending from the shoulder truncation into the hair and two shorter parallel marks visible in the right field below IND. Some shallow laminations are noted with scrutiny near 9:00 among the obverse legend. The reverse die is bulged at left under NOMINA. Choice for the grade, a handsome example of this rarity. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins. From Glendining's sale of November 1971, lot 325." This type was struck at Bogotá 1755-59 and at Popayán 1758-60. Unlike later dates (after 1772), these early issues are rare.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.53 g, .917 fine gold, .399 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-10831, KM 31.1, Fr-17, Restrepo M20.6.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.