Colombia 1757-NR S 8 escudos
This specimen was lot 11140 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $3,840. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 1757-S 8 Escudos. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Ferdinand VI (1746-1759). AU-55 (PCGS). One of the rarities of the early milled series, described as 'very rare' by Restrepo and 'pocos ejemplares conocidos' (only a few specimens known) in the Calicó Onza book. Choice medium yellow gold with abundant cartwheel at the obverse periphery and around the reverse. Well struck and truly problem free, showing only the most trivial marks and a few scattered hairlines. Two minor laminations are seen on the reverse, one at IN of NOMINA and the other at EQ of SEQUOR. The planchet flaws, along with minor die flaws like the bulge in the lower right obverse field, are evidence of difficulties that remained in the coining process even two years after the conversion from hammered to milled production. The Eliasberg specimen of this issue was graded AU-58 (NGC) and brought $6,450 in 2005. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins. From Kurt Spanier, December 1983." This type was struck at Bogotá 1756-60 and at Popayán 1758-60. Unlike later dates (after 1772), these early issues are rare.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .917 fine gold, .798 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-10904, KM 32.1, Fr-15, Calico Onza-634, Restrepo M24.4.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia: Impresiones Rojo, 2006.