Colombia 1752-SF S 2 escudos
The first specimen was lot 11011 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $1,860. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 1752-S 2 Escudos. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Ferdinand VI (1746-1759). AU-50 (PCGS). Well struck and well centered with good eye appeal. Mostly medium yellow gold, but some pink and white coral encrustation persists in the intricacies of the cross. The bottoms of all four date digits are visible, though unfortunately somewhat obscured by the encapsulation. The F / S mintmark is very bold, the S assayer mark is a bit softly rendered but still visible. A handsome, dated 2 Escudos of this later type. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins. Acquired from Stack's, April 1981." The second specimen was lot 45 in Sedwick sale 25 (Winter Park, FL, May 2018), where it sold for $1,904. The catalog description noted, "Bogota, Colombia, cob 2 escudos, (17)52S. Frosty yellow AU with choice full shield and cross, bold 52 of date, full assayer S to left, scarce and numismatically desirable despite traces of jewelry mounting." This type is listed for 1747-56 with all dates marked as rare. Milled coinage of gold commenced in 1755.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.77 g, .917 fine gold, the first specimen 6.76 grams, the second specimen 6.59 grams.
Catalog reference: Cayón-10751, Restrepo M94.6, Fr-13, S-B27a; KM-25; CT-179.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Sedwick, Daniel Frank, Augi Garcia and Cori Sedwick Downing, Treasure Auction 25, Winter Park, FL: Daniel Frank Sedwick LLC, 2019.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.