Colombia 1726-FS 1/2 real
This specimen was lot 11126 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $1,200. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 1726-FS 1/2 Real. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Philip V (1700-1746). VF-30 (PCGS). Restrepo notes three known examples of this issue, illustrating all of them. This is the fourth, the finest of the bunch and struck on the broadest planchet. The date is mostly plain below the monogram, and both F (left) and S (right) are visible on either side. Medium gray with attractive surfaces and just some minor deposits on the reverse. An important Philip V rarity. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins." Dated specimens are known for 1702, 1726 with no assayer recorded. The type may have been made in other years.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 1.69 g, .931 fine silver, this specimen 1.28 grams.
Catalog reference: Cayón-8196, Restrepo M68.2, KM B8.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.