Colombia 1722-NoR FS 2 reales
This specimen was lot 24498 in Heritage sale 3032 (Chicago, April 2014), where it sold for $1,997.50. The catalog description noted, "Philip V cob 2 Reales (1722) NoR-FS, Nuevo Reino mint, Choice XF. A remarkable full weight specimen of this rare type, with luster remaining in the fields and well struck, albeit on a chunky flan leaving the date off. Struck from the same pair of dies as the 1722 plated in Restrepo, and from the same pair of dies as the previous lot, but with the 'o' between the 'NR' mintmark and the initials FS (for assayer Jose Sanchez de la Torre) flanking the pillars punched into the die. Truly a jewel among this challenging series." This type was issued from Bogotá in the 1720's; dated specimens are not priced in the SCWC. Colombian gold from this period is scarce, the silver is quite rare.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.77 g, .931 fine silver, .202 troy oz, this specimen 6.86 grams.
Catalog reference: Cayón-8715, KM 19, Restrepo-M72.4 (same dies).
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3032, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.