Colombia 1693-NR VA 4 reales
This specimen was lot 11064 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $3,120. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 1693-VA 4 Reales. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Carlos II (1665-1700). F-12 (PCGS). Nice medium silver gray with good contrast provided by darker toning in the recesses. The obverse is aligned too far left to permit the assayer to be visible, but the date is complete and the mintmark is clear. The reverse shield is ideally centered, filling the taut planchet, though the top two quadrants are softly defined. The planchet size and style match the Restrepo plate piece, which actually appears to share an identical pillars-side die, though that piece is aligned to show the assayer mark and leave the date unstruck. An elusive piece in a fine state of preservation. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins." This type was issued from Bogotá intermittently 1666-93 and all dates are listed as "Rare" in the SCWC. This is the only date listed for assayer VA, who also issued eight reales that year.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.54 g, .931 fine silver, .405 troy oz ASW, this specimen 12.96 grams.
Catalog reference: Restrepo M60.16, KM 11.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.