Colombia 1692-NR A 2 escudos
"COLOMBIA. 1692-A/G 2 Escudos. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Charles II (1665-1700). AU-53 (PCGS). Pleasing deep yellow gold with some sediment trapped in intricacies of the cross. The shield is fairly crisp, though soft in its bottom portion. The cross is off-center, but the date is nice and complete. Some scratches or hairlines are visible in the area of flatness above the cross. The N / R mintmark is clear left of the shield. The A over G assayer mark appears something like a kidney-shaped blob right of the shield, but both the triangular tip of the A and the broader round top of the G are visible. Restrepo calls this 'a transition coin' between assayer Pedro García and assayer Buenaventura de Arce. A similar specimen of this date and overassayer variety, though not from the same dies, was offered in Sedwick's Auction 14 with a provenance to the HMS Feversham, a ship that left New York in 1711 and sank on its way to Canada. Scarce as a date and interesting as a variety. An important piece for specialists. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins. Acquired from Sidney Smith at the 1981 American Numismatic Association convention in New Orleans, July 1981."This type was struck 1667-93, with assayer A reported for 1692-93. All dates are rare.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.77 g, .917 fine gold, .198 troy oz AGW, this specimen 6.73 grams.
Catalog reference: Cayón no. 7797 (unlisted assayer), Restrepo M66.17, KM 14.1, Fr-3.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.