Colombia 1670-NR PoRS 8 reales
"COLOMBIA. 1670-PoRS 8 Reales. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Carlos II (1665-1700). VF Detail — Holed (PCGS). No 'royals' are recorded or rumored among the 8 Reales of Santa Fe, but this piece suggests what one might look like. The surfaces are gilt, now worn and pale yellow, evocative of gilt royals from other mints. Three holes are seen: at 12:00, at 6:00, and at 3:00. In an inversion of the usual striking characteristics of this type, the absolute centers are soft but the peripheries actually show a wealth of detail, reminiscent of the 1702 from the British Museum collection plated in Restrepo. The date and assayer are exceptionally bold, the mintmark is present if a bit weak. On the reverse, only minor double striking is seen, and all of the shield is bold but for a soft spot above the center junction. The ordinal is visible, as is the portion of the denomination not affected by the hole. A very interesting and exceptional specimen, almost certainly not a royal in the technical sense but still evocative of one. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins."This type was struck 1667-1703 for Charles II, tho all dates are listed as rare.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .931 fine silver, .405 troy oz ASW, this specimen 26.68 grams.
Catalog reference: Cayón no. 7545, Restrepo M62.8, KM 12.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.