Colombia 1667-NR PoR 4 reales
This specimen was lot 11062 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $2,880. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 1667-PoR 4 Reales. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Carlos II (1665-1700). VF-35 (PCGS). Plated in Restrepo and Restrepo-Lasser from an old line drawing, apparently taken from an early edition of Calicó. Nice dark gray toning on a chunky, tight planchet. The edge is a bit crude in one spot, with a split above the left pillar that also affects the last digit of the IIII denomination left of the shield. The date, assayer, and mintmark are all perfectly clear, and the lions and castles are nicely defined as well. Problem free and attractive, this is uncommon as both a date and a type. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins. From Don Canaparo." This type was issued from Bogotá intermittently 1666-93 and all dates are listed as "Rare" in the SCWC. Assayer POR is known for 1651-69.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.54 g, .931 fine silver, .405 troy oz ASW, this specimen 13.40 grams.
Catalog reference: Cayón no. 7431, Restrepo M60.1, KM 11.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.