Colombia 1664-NR PoRS 8 reales
"COLOMBIA. 1664-PoRS 8 Reales. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Philip IV (1621-1665). VF-30 (PCGS). Countermarked with the toison or Golden Fleece of Brabant, Delmonte-324, ca. 1652-72. A fascinating and well-traveled 8 Reales, struck in Bogotá in 1664 but countermarked in Brabant (modern day Belgium) for circulation there. Dark gray recesses contrast handsomely with lighter silver devices. The mintmark, date, and RS of the assayer are all crystal clear on the tight, chunky planchet. The shield is perfectly centered on the confined reverse, allowing for IIIV to be seen at right. The Brabant countermark is just above dead center on the shield, with its impression visible on the obverse area opposite. Scarce as a date and scarce with this countermark; Restrepo located just three Colombian cobs with this countermark. Of those, he chose this coin as his plate piece, taken from an earlier illustration in Gaceta Numismatica in Spain. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins."This type was struck 1651-65, all dates are noted as rare. Assayer POR is known for 1651-69.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .931 fine silver, .405 troy oz ASW, this specimen 26.82 grams.
Catalog reference: Cayón no. 6570, Restrepo M46.38, KM 7.1.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.