Colombia 1662-NR R 1/2 real
This specimen was lot 11117 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $456. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 1662 1/2 Real. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Philip IV (1621-1665). AU-53 (PCGS). Lustrous and colorfully toned with exceptional eye appeal. The cross is perfectly centered on the tight planchet and all four digits of the 1662 date are at least partially visible at the upper left of the cross, enough for confirmation. A lovely and important coin. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins. Provenance: From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins. From a hoard discovered by Clyde Hubbard in Medellín in the 1950s and subsequently published by Robert I. Nesmith. Plated in Nesmith's "A Hoard of the First Silver Coins of Nuevo Reino de Granada (Colombia)," 1958, coin #6e, illustrated on plate XXX and in a line drawing on p. 524." Restrepo lists this type for 1627-65 with assayer Ramos operating 1642-65. Known dates include 1652-53, 1656, 1662 and 1665. Others may exist but have not come to light.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 1.72 g, .931 fine silver, this specimen 1.90 grams.
Catalog reference: Cayón no. 5668, Restrepo M16.6.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.