Colombia 1657-NR PoRS 8 reales
This specimen was lot 24493 in Heritage sale 3032 (Chicago, April 2014), where it sold for $9,987.50. The catalog description noted, "A Choice Philip IV Nuevo Reino 8 Reales 1657 NR-PoRS, Nuevo Reino mint, AU53 NGC. When offering this same specimen, the cataloguer of the Millennia collection wrote: 'Bold strike on uneven flan, resulting in a few spots of flatness. Flan rather symmetrical and approaching round. Handsome old toning. Probably about as struck. Extremely Rare, and perhaps the finest known'. In terms of wear and strike, it certainly is comparable to the piece currently impounded in the Banco de la Republica collection in Colombia (the plate coin in Restrepo and Lasser-Restrepo). And although that specimen shows only one area of flatness, it is also struck on a smaller, less appealing flan (which probably also explains it having less flat areas). For accuracy purposes, the cataloguer thus describes the handsome present specimen (the Calico plate coin) as the finest seen example of this date, and also among the finest Philip IV Nuevo Reino 8 Reales in private hands. An important type coin and sure to bring competitive bidding. Ex Millennia collection (I. and L. Goldberg 5/2008, lot 1017)."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .931 fine silver, .810 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: Cayón no. 6494, KM 7.1, Restrepo-M46.24.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3032, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014