Colombia 1653-N R real
"COLOMBIA. 1653-R Real. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Philip IV (1621-1665). Restrepo M24.9. AU-50 (PCGS). Cataloged by Nesmith as 1655 and our consignor as 1653; we could make a case for either but given the presence of an R from the mintmark left of the reverse shield, we will err on the side of 1653. Ideally centered on the obverse with a fine strike, showing four digits of the date at upper left. The reverse is also well centered, not as well struck but showing lovely bright blue toning in the lustrous recesses. A really exemplary type coin. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins. From a hoard discovered by Clyde Hubbard in Medellín in the 1950s and subsequently published by Robert I. Nesmith. Plated in Nesmith's "A Hoard of the First Silver Coins of Nuevo Reino de Granada (Colombia)," 1958, coin #10i, illustrated on plate XXXI and in a line drawing on p. 529."The type was struck in Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) in Nueva Granada (now Colombia) 1651-53 but is now rare. As is typical of cobs, the majority lack legible dates. The Cartagena mint, during its brief period of operation, struck some in 1655; these are very rare. The production of cobs continued sporadically into the 1740's. It was superseded by milled pillar coinage.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 3.43 g, .931 fine silver, the first specimen 3.49 grams, the second specimen 3.41 grams.
Catalog reference: Restrepo M24.9, KM 9.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.