Colombia 1653-NR PoR 4 reales
This specimen was lot 11056 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $1,080. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 1653-PoR 4 Reales. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Philip IV (1621-1665). VF-30 (PCGS). Struck on a very broad planchet, well centered on the reverse, but far off center on the obverse, leaving a substantial unstruck area outside the die edge at the top and left. The P of the assayer and 3 of the date are clear, as is the absolute central obverse. Three quarters of the shield is crisp. The surfaces are dark gray with salvage patina, lightly granular in areas but not heavily corroded anywhere. A natural planchet fissure or crudity is seen at the lower right periphery of the obverse, beneath the right pillar. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins." This type was issued from Bogotá intermittently 1651-65 and all dates are listed as "Rare" in the SCWC. Assayer POR is known for 1651-69.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.54 g, .931 fine silver, .405 troy oz ASW, this specimen 12.77 grams.
Catalog reference: Cayón no. 6144, Restrepo M38.6, KM 10.1.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.