Colombia 1652-N R real
"COLOMBIA.1652-R Real. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Philip IV (1621-1665). EF-45 (PCGS). Real, 1632-R. PCGS EF-45. Choice light silver gray with an ovoid planchet. An interesting type, with a pomegranate between the tops of the pillars, nice and well defined here. The visible 2 at the top left is enough to confirm the date positively. The reverse is very sharp, with a good shield at center and denomination visible to the right. The king's ordinal IIII is seen at the periphery. Plated in Restrepo to display this pomegranate and pillars type. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins. From a hoard discovered by Clyde Hubbard in Medellín in the 1950s and subsequently published by Robert I. Nesmith. Plated in Nesmith's "A Hoard of the First Silver Coins of Nuevo Reino de Granada (Colombia)," 1958, coin #10l, illustrated on plate XXXI and in a line drawing on p. 529."The type was struck in Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) in Nueva Granada (now Colombia) 1651-53 but is now rare. As is typical of cobs, the majority lack legible dates. The Cartagena mint, during its brief period of operation, struck some in 1655; these are very rare. The production of cobs continued sporadically into the 1740's. It was superseded by milled pillar coinage.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 3.43 g, .931 fine silver, this specimen 3.24 grams.
Catalog reference: Restrepo M24.3, KM 9.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.