Colombia 1652-NR R 2 reales
"COLOMBIA. 1652-R 2 Reales. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Philip IV (1621-1665). AU-53 (PCGS). Lustrous silver gray with attractive blue-green and golden toning over both sides. The centers are well defined, with a clear R assayer and completely bold 1652 date. The mintmark is perfect and prominent. While little is legible at the obverse peripheries, the reverse periphery incorporates HILIPP at the right and a complete shield shifted to the left. Choice in terms of surface and eye appeal, this is a very high grade survivor of this interesting type. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins. From a hoard discovered by Clyde Hubbard in Medellín in the 1950s and subsequently published by Robert I. Nesmith. Plated in Nesmith's "A Hoard of the First Silver Coins of Nuevo Reino de Granada (Colombia)," 1958, coin #9, illustrated on plate XXXI and in a line drawing on p. 526."This type was struck 1652-65, with dated specimens known for 1652-NR A, 1659, 1662, 1664, 1665. There is also KM 6.2 (mule) for 1652 only.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.87 g, .931 fine silver, .201 troy oz ASW, this specimen 6.71 grams.
Catalog reference: Cayón no. 5929, Restrepo M31.6, KM 6.3.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.