Colombia 1651-NR PoRMS 4 reales
This specimen was lot 11055 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $1,680. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 1651-PoRMS 4 Reales. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Philip IV (1621-1665). AU Detail — Salt Water Damage (PCGS). A coin that saw very little, if any, circulation before it was deposited in the sea. The 1651 date is clear, as is the obverse legend and mintmark. RMS of the assayer is plain on the left side of the left column, a departure from the PoR assayer mark for this year described by Restrepo. PHILIP and most of the shield are clear on the reverse. Both sides are light silver gray with darker contrast in recessed areas. Most areas are free from any granularity or corrosion, though some peripheral areas show minor roughness. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins." This type was issued from Bogotá intermittently 1651-65 and all dates are listed as "Rare" in the SCWC. Assayer POR is known for 1651-69.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.54 g, .931 fine silver, .405 troy oz ASW, this specimen 11.60 grams.
Catalog reference: Cayón no. 6127, Restrepo M38.1, KM 10.1.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.