Colombia 1647-NR R 2 reales
"COLOMBIA. 1647-R 2 Reales. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Philip IV (1621-1665). VF-25 (PCGS). Well centered on a broad planchet, medium gray with smooth surfaces. A planchet crack descends from the rim to the upper right corner of the shield, still holding some earthen encrustation. The cross is complete and well rendered, with a full four digit 1647 date to its upper left. The shield side shows an exceptionally crisp denomination and assayer mark, and the lower letter of the mintmark is plain as well. Internal details of the shield are fully struck up and perfectly bold. A very handsome example. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins. From a hoard discovered by Clyde Hubbard in Medellín in the 1950s and subsequently published by Robert I. Nesmith. Plated in Nesmith's "A Hoard of the First Silver Coins of Nuevo Reino de Granada (Colombia)," 1958, coin #3d, illustrated on plate XXIX and in a line drawing on p. 518."This rare type is listed for 1627-30 and 1647. It was likely struck intermittently in other years as well but no dated specimens have come to light. The Cartagena mint also issued two reales during its brief existence (1627-34).
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.77 g, .931 fine silver, .201 troy oz ASW, this specimen 6.87 grams.
Catalog reference: Cayón no. 5912, Restrepo M28.21, KM 6.1.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.