Colombia 1643-NR R 4 reales
This specimen was lot 11054 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $1,020. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 1643-R 4 Reales. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Philip IV (1621-1665). VF Detail — Environmental Damage (PCGS). Mostly dark charcoal gray with some areas of lighter silver. A salvage piece, with some encrustation still visible. Struck on an unusually broad planchet that allows a complete 1643 date to be visible at the upper left of the cross, along with denticles above it and an unstruck area above that. The R of the mintmark is bold at the left of the shield, as is the denomination at the right. The metal quality is good and no heavy corrosion is present. Not beautiful, but certainly rare with a full four digit date. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins." This type was issued from Bogotá intermittently 1643-51 and all dates are listed as "Rare" in the SCWC. Assayer R may be the same person as assayer POR who was active 1651-69.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.54 g, .931 fine silver, .405 troy oz ASW, this specimen 13.67 grams.
Catalog reference: Restrepo M35.3, KM 2.2.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.