Colombia 1633-C E 8 reales
This specimen was lot 24491 in Heritage sale 3032 (Chicago, April 2014), where it sold for $3,965.63. The catalog description noted, "Philip IV cob 8 Reales 1633 C-E, Cartagena mint, Fine, A decent example of an extremely rare date with only two confirmed specimens by the cataloguer. The other one is the plate coin of Restrepo-M45.15, with a barely discernible date, and the placement of the denomination and mintmark/assayer initials transposed compared to the present coin. 1633 was apparently the first year in the...new 'C' mintmark for Cartagena was used. When sold as part of the Lasser collection (see following), this specimen was mistakenly attributed to assayer Echeverria, but recent research by Blanton and Proctor has identified Juan de la Era as the one corresponding to both the 'H' and 'E' initials with the 'Hera' spelling being used earlier, ca. 1626). Albeit lightweight, the present specimen is remarkable since it shows a full 4-digit date and also of a distinctive design, thus a subtype for the series. Ex: Lasser collection (Ponterio 1/2005, lot 766, described as "possibly Unique")."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .931 fine silver, .810 troy oz ASW, this specimen 22.35 grams.
Catalog reference: Cayón no. 6289, KM 3.4, Restrepo-M45.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3032, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014