Colombia 1631-NR P 8 reales
This specimen was lot 11015 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $2,640. The catalog description noted, "COLOMBIA. 1631-P 8 Reales. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Philip IV (1621-1665). VF-25 (PCGS). Light silver gray with patches of dark maroon surface encrustation, perhaps from a ground hoard but showing no granularity or evidence of sea salvage. Well struck and attractive, with an ideally centered obverse. The king's ordinal IIII is complete, as is the N/R/P mintmark and assayer combination left of the shield. The denomination right of the shield is mostly bold. Some of the cross detail is a bit soft but the full 1631 date is clear. Rare and very attractive. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins." The 1631-N·R·P is an unlisted date. This type was struck 1627-34.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .931 fine silver, .405 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: Cayón no. 6274, Restrepo M44.7, KM 3.3.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.