Colombia 1630-RN E 8 reales
This specimen was lot 24490 in Heritage sale 3032 (Chicago, April 2014), where it sold for $1,997.50. The catalog description noted, "Philip IV cob 8 Reales 1630 RN-E, Cartagena mint, Choice VF. Full weight at 27.18 grams, this piece is well struck and attractive with minimal doubling but on a reduced-size planchet, thus the identification of the date is a bit challenging. The date is placed to the left of the upper castle on the reverse, and all 4 digits can be partially seen. The first three can be rather easily identified as 163x, with the last one either an 8, a 6 or a 0. The 1638 and 1636 dates can be discarded as the Cartagena mint closed in 1635 (and was not reopened until 1655), so the last digit must be a 0. Thus, this piece can be safely classified as a new specimen of the extremely rare Cartagena 1630 8 Reales. The only other piece assigned to this date by the cataloguer (Restrepo's M45.12 plate coin, ex UBS 9/2002, lot 4424, estimated at CHF 16,000!) has a very weak last digit, and its obverse is of the later design which transposed the denomination VIII and mintmark/assayer to the left and right sides of the shield respectively. Nevertheless, the punches in the shield between that piece and the present coin match (a fact pointed to the cataloguer by specialist Herman Blanton) so the proposed attribution can be assumed as definitive. Another important coin for the collector of this rare and fascinating series."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .931 fine silver, .810 troy oz ASW, this specimen 27.18 grams.
Catalog reference: KM 3.4, Restrepo-M45.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3032, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014