Colombia 1630-NR P 2 reales
This specimen was lot 11069 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $1,680. The catalog description noted, "Magnificent Quality 1630-P 2 Reales. COLOMBIA. 1630-P 2 Reales. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Philip IV (1621-1665). AU-55 (PCGS). Lustrous and frosty, unbelievable quality for an early Santa Fe cob. The surfaces are beautifully toned in subtle multicolor tones over deep medium gray. The shield is complete and nearly fully defined, with the N of the mintmark plain to the left and the P assayer crisp to the right. The cross is complete and bold, and the 0 of the date (along with the base of the 3) makes positive date identification possible. It is hard to imagine this is not the finest surviving example of this 2 Reales type. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins." This rare type is listed for 1627-30 and 1647. It was likely struck intermittently in other years as well but no dated specimens have come to light. The Cartagena mint also issued two reales during its brief existence (1627-34).
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.77 g, .931 fine silver, .201 troy oz ASW, this specimen 6.86 grams.
Catalog reference: Cayón no. 5868, Restrepo M28.3, KM 6.1.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.