Colombia 1627-NR P 2 reales
"COLOMBIA. 1627-P 2 Reales. Santa Fe de Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) mint. Philip IV (1621-1665). VF-30 (PCGS). Bright envelope toning adds colorful highlights in the recesses, contrasting with glossy medium gray surfaces. Superb metal quality and eye appeal, with the oval planchet capturing the full length of the shield, some of the crown, the II denomination to the left, and most of the P assayer mark below it. The reverse shows only a portion of the cross, but the date is clear, with the bottom half of the 6 and the 27 easy to make out at the periphery. Evidence of a die clash, presumably with the base of the crown, is visible between the final date digit and H of HISPANARIVM. A beautiful example of this earliest 2 Reales of Bogotá, one that boasts a fascinating provenance. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins. From a hoard discovered by Clyde Hubbard in Medellín in the 1950s and subsequently published by Robert I. Nesmith. Plated in Nesmith's "A Hoard of the First Silver Coins of Nuevo Reino de Granada (Colombia)," 1958, coin #3b, illustrated on plate XXIX and in a line drawing on p. 517."This rare type is listed for 1627-30 and 1647. It was likely struck intermittently in other years as well but no dated specimens have come to light. The Cartagena mint also issued two reales during its brief existence (1627-34).
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.77 g, .931 fine silver, .201 troy oz ASW, this specimen 6.66 grams.
Catalog reference: Cayón no. 5848, Restrepo M28.3, KM 6.1.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.