Colombia 1622-RN A 8 reales
"Philip IV cob 8 Reales (1622) NR-A, Cartagena Mint. XF. Virtually free of corrosion, and well struck on a rather large flan. A natural flan edge split is present at 10 o'clock but does not detract from the attractiveness of this piece.
The crowned shield side is particularly choice, with the reverse also very well struck although the date is off the planchet. Nevertheless, the date can be established rather easily to be 1622 since it was struck from the same reverse die as another specimen recently sold, which clearly showed the crucial last digit of the date "2". That coin (lot 383 in Sedwick auctions 10/2013 sale) was also in very attractive condition, albeit showing a bit more of corrosion evidence, including a much lighter weight at 25.83 grams: it hammered at $6,500. The main telling characteristic of that reverse die is the first "A" in HISPANIARVM at 3 o'clock being clearly punched over an "N", evidence of an earlier die being re-engraved or of a mistake by the die-sinker.
Interestingly, the obverse (crowned shield side) die of the present piece is known for coins dated both 1621 (see the first coin illustrated in Restrepo-M41-1 with a 1621 date clearly showing the last two digits) and 1622 (see the second coin illustrated in Restrepo-M41.1). Since the few visible letters (HIS) on that 1621 dated piece match the ones of the present specimen, it may well be that the present specimen is in fact dated 1622/1 (the Sedwick piece referenced herein is inconclusive on that matter). This and the ex Karon piece (UBS 9/1998, lot 3151, showing a 4-digit date but light at 26.1 grams so evidently more corroded) are the two choicest 1622 specimens seen by the cataloguer. Certificate is included. Ex: Lasser collection (Ponterio 1/2005, lot 761)."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .931 fine silver, .810 troy oz ASW, this specimen 27.25 grams.
Catalog reference: Cayón no. 6199, KM3.2, Restrepo-M41.1 (same dies).
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3032, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014