Colombia (1655)-CS real
"COLOMBIA. (1655)-CS Real. Cartagena mint. Philip IV (1621-1665). EF-45 (PCGS). One of the great rarities of the Colombian cob series, this appears to be the only surviving example of the Real issue of the rare 1655 production of Cartagena. This coin serves as the plate coin in Krause-Mishler (which terms it unique), Calicó, Restrepo, Restrepo-Lasser, and Lasser's 1992 article in the American Journal of Numismatics on the cobs of Cartagena, and it was singled out for mention in a brief essay penned by Henry Christensen in his sale of May 1982. Lovely multicolor toning enriches the recesses and contrasts with silver gray design elements. The obverse shows the full extent of the right pillar, about half of the left, along with parts of the central legend. The reverse, aligned to the left, is soft at the left side of the shield but ideally positioned to allow for the complete CS letters right of the shield to be visible. Excellent aesthetic appeal, superb metal quality, a very choice coin before even considering the fact that this appears to be the only collectible specimen. This coin has never before been offered at public auction. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins. From a hoard discovered by Clyde Hubbard in Medellín in the 1950s and subsequently published by Robert I. Nesmith. Plated in Nesmith's "A Hoard of the First Silver Coins of Nuevo Reino de Granada (Colombia)," 1958, coin #10i, illustrated on plate XXXI and in a line drawing on p. 529."The type was struck in Nuevo Reino (Bogotá) in Nueva Granada (now Colombia) 1651-53 but is now rare. As is typical of cobs, the majority lack legible dates. The Cartagena mint, during its brief period of operation, struck some in 1655; these are very rare. The production of cobs continued sporadically into the 1740's. It was superseded by milled pillar coinage.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 3.43 g, .931 fine silver, the first specimen 3.32 grams.
Catalog reference: Restrepo M26.1.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.