Colombia (1625)-RN H real
"Extremely Rare Cartagena Real of Assayer H. Juan de la Hera, 1625. COLOMBIA. (1625)-H Real. Cartagena mint. Philip IV (1621-1665). VF-25 (PCGS). A superb example of the rarely offered Assayer H. Listed under Bogotá (B2) in the first through third editions of The Practical Book of Cobs, the H assayer was reclassified to Cartagena for the fourth edition based upon the discovery of the identify of the H assayer by Pérez Sindreu and the determination that he worked only at Cartagena. As noted by Restrepo, "the only known assayer with initial 'H' was don Juan de la Hera, who arrived in 1625." Sedwick states that "only a few 1 reales and a single 2 reales are known, none with a visible date." Herman Blanton put a finer point on the population in the July 2006 Numismatics International Bulletin: "to our knowledge there are six specimens of this coin, all are accounted for and all are illustrated. One is illustrated here and the remaining five are illustrated by Nesmith." Of those five coins, four are here, and the other is now in the collection of the American Numismatic Society. This obverse is well centered, with a complete shield, RN fully present left of the shield, along with most of the I and all of the H below it to the right of the shield. The cross side is less well centered but mostly complete. Both sides show choice surfaces and attractive medium gray toning. From the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins. From a hoard discovered by Clyde Hubbard in Medellín in the 1950s and subsequently published by Robert I. Nesmith. Plated in Nesmith's "A Hoard of the First Silver Coins of Nuevo Reino de Granada (Colombia)," 1958, coin #4n, illustrated on plate XXX and in a line drawing on p. 522."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 3.38 g, .931 fine silver, this specimen 2.90 grams.
Catalog reference: Restrepo M18.1, KM A5.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Restrepo, Jorge Emilio, Monedas de Colombia, 1619-2006, Medellin, Colombia, Impresiones Rojo: 2006.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.