China 2003 300 yuan KM-1479
This specimen was lot 2312 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2017), where it sold for $2,820. The catalog description noted, "CHINA. 300 Yuan, 2003. Lunar Series, Year of the Goat. NGC PROOF-69 ULTRA CAMEO. Reported mintage of only 3,800 pieces. A nearly perfect example of this massive issue." The Chinese government has, since the mid 1980's, produced a mind boggling array of bullion related collectibles. Coins featuring the animals of the Chinese zodiac have long been popular.
Recorded mintage: 3,800.
Specification: 1000 g, .999 fine silver, 32.11 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM-1479.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 2001-Date, 11th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Ponterio, Richard, The January 2017 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Richard Stuart Collection, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2016.
- 1997 50 yuan, Romance of the Three Kingdoms
- 2002 500 yuan, 1 oz gold panda
- 2003 10 yuan, Year of the Goat
- 2003 50 yuan, Putuo Mountain
- 2003 100 yuan, ¼ oz gold panda
- 2003 500 yuan, 1 oz gold panda
- 2008 300 yuan, Beijing Olympics, rowing and horse racing
- Coins and currency dated 2003
- return to coins of China