China 1998 10 yuan KM-1126
This specimen was lot 71272 in Stack's Bowers Collector's Choice sale (Santa Ana, CA, October 2019), where it sold for $120. The catalog description noted, "CHINA. 10 Yuan, 1998. Panda Series. NGC MS-69. A radiant Gem, this captivating example features a panda seated upon a rock, holding a shoot of bamboo." The silver panda was introduced in 1983 and after several years of low sales, started to become popular in the early nineties, especially after the weight was increased to one troy ounce. It is now a strong competitor to the Mexican libertad, the U.S. silver eagle and the Canadian maple leaf, and hundreds of varieties exist. This design was also issued in multicolor (KM 1132) and with gold plating on the panda (KM 1134).
Recorded mintage: 250,000.
Specification: 31.10 g, .999 fine silver.
Catalog reference: KM-1126.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 47th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Anthony, Peter, Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyers Guide, 3rd Ed., Los Angeles, 2017.
- Orsini, Matt, Richard Ponterio and Kyle Ponterio, The October 2019 Collector's Choice Sale: World and Ancient Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2019.
- 1995 10 yuan, 1 oz silver panda, panda before pond
- 1995 10 yuan, 1 oz silver panda, panda munching twig
- 1998 5 yuan, 1/20 oz gold panda
- 1998 10 yuan, 1/10 oz gold panda
- 1998 25 yuan, ¼ oz gold panda
- 1998 50 yuan, ½ oz gold panda
- 1998 100 yuan, 1 oz gold panda
- 1999 10 yuan, 1 oz silver panda
- Coins and currency dated 1998