China 1995 100 yuan KM-803
This specimen was lot 29521 in Heritage sale 3042 (Long Beach, September 2015), where it sold for $7,050. The catalog description noted, "People's Republic gold Proof 100 Yuan Unicorn (1 Ounce) 1995 PR69 Ultra Cameo NGC. A phenomenal example of this scarcely-available, one-year type featuring a unicorn with her offspring. The fields are deeply-reflective, while the devices are fully-raised and frosty, due to cameo contrast. With a reported mintage of just 504 pieces, this is a nearly-perfect specimen, worthy of a premium bid. AGW 1.000 oz." The Chinese government has, since the mid 1980's, produced a mind boggling array of bullion related collectibles. A complete set is thousands of types yet buyers clamor for more. This issue is accompanied by a silver twelve ounce coin (KM 802) and gold five hundred yuan (KM 805).
Recorded mintage: 504.
Specification: 31.13 g, .999 fine gold, .993 troy oz AGW, 32 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: KM 803.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World Coin Auction 3042, featuring the Read and Bob Bennett Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2015.
- 1994 100 yuan, Year of the Dog
- 1995 5 yuan, 1/20 oz gold panda
- 1995 10 yuan, 1 oz silver panda
- 1995 10 yuan, Year of the Pig
- 1995 10 yuan, eagle in flight
- 1995 25 yuan, ¼ oz gold panda
- 1995 50 yuan, ½ oz gold panda
- 1995 50 yuan, emperor Da Yu
- 1995 100 yuan, 1 oz gold panda
- 1996 5 yuan, 1/20th oz gold panda
- 1997 25 yuan, Forbidden City
- Coins and currency dated 1995
- return to coins of China