China 1988 10 yuan KM-184
This specimen was part of lot 40094 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2019), which sold for $2,640. The catalog description noted, "CHINA. Five Piece Proof Set, 1988-P. Panda Series. PCGS PROOF 68 & 69 DEEP CAMEO Gold Shield. Includes: 5 to 100 Yuan. A very attractive set of Panda coins, each marked with a 'P' inside the frosted design to designate them as Proof strikings." The Chinese government has, since the mid 1980's, produced a mind boggling array of bullion related collectibles. A complete set is thousands of types yet buyers clamor for more. The gold panda set includes 1/20, ounce, 1/10 ounce, quarter ounce, half ounce and one ounce.
Recorded mintage: 293,653 + 10,000 proofs.
Specification: 3.11 g, .999 fine gold.
Catalog reference: Fr-B4/B8; KM-PS26 (set); KM-184 (formerly Y153), PAN-78a/82a.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Anthony, Peter, Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyers Guide, 3rd Ed., Los Angeles, 2017.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, Matt Orsini and Cris Chatigny, The January 2019 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.
- 1988 5 yuan, 1/20 oz gold panda
- 1988 10 yuan, Year of the Dragon
- 1988 25 yuan, ¼ oz gold panda
- 1988 50 yuan, ½ oz gold panda
- 1988 100 yuan, 1 oz gold panda
- 1988 100 yuan, 12 oz silver panda
- China 1988 100 yuan KM-196 year of the dragon
- China 1988 100 yuan KM-211 Emperor Zhao Guang Yin
- China 1988 150 yuan KM-198 year of the dragon
- return to coins of China
- Coins and currency dated 1988