China 1987 500 yuan KM-164
This specimen was lot 20252 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2020), where it sold for $7,800. The catalog description noted, "CHINA. 500 Yuan, 1987. Panda Series. NGC PROOF-65 Ultra Cameo. A pleasing 5 ounce proof with incredible radiance and luster along with a charming frosted nature." This denomination was struck in this format 1987-94. It was accompanied by a twelve ounce gold panda (KM 165) as well as the usual smaller sizes, down to 1/20 ounce.
Recorded mintage: 3,000.
Specification: 155.52 g, 0.999 fine gold, 60 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: Fr-B3; KM-164; PAN-50a.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 47th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Anthony, Peter, Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyers Guide, 3rd Ed., Los Angeles, 2017.
- Orsini, Matt, Richard Ponterio and Kyle Ponterio, The January 2020 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2019.
- China 1987-P 5 yuan, 1/20 oz gold panda
- 1987 10 yuan, silver panda
- 1987-Y 10 yuan, 1/10 oz gold panda
- 1987 10 yuan, silver Year of the Rabbit
- 1987-S 25 yuan, ¼ oz gold panda
- 1987-Y 25 yuan, ¼ oz gold panda
- 1987-S 50 yuan, ½ oz gold panda, Shanghai mint
- 1987-Y 50 yuan, ½ oz gold panda
- 1987 50 yuan, silver Year of the Rabbit
- 1987-S 100 yuan, 1 oz gold panda
- 1987-Y 100 yuan, 1 oz gold panda
- 1987-S 100 yuan, 1 oz platinum Panda
- 1987 100 yuan, 125th birthday of Zhan Tianyou
- 1987 1000 yuan, 12 oz gold panda
- Coins and currency dated 1987