China 1987 10 yuan KM-187
This specimen was lot 3892 in Goldberg sale 90 (Los Angeles, January 2016), where it sold for $364.25. The catalog description noted, "China. 10 Yuan, 1987. Silver. Panda climbing tree. NGC graded Proof 69 Ultra Cameo." The Chinese government has, since the mid 1980's, produced a mind boggling array of bullion related collectibles. A complete set is thousands of types yet buyers clamor for more. The first silver panda was issued in 1983 and quickly became an annual release. The 1987 issue was the first that weighed a full troy ounce. At the beginning, there was little market in China for these and they were not popular in the United States, so the mintages were low.
Recorded mintage: 31,000.
Specification: 31.1 g, .999 fine silver, 1.000 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM-167 (formerly KM Y133).
- Anthony, Peter, Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyers Guide, 3rd Ed., Los Angeles, 2017.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, John Lavender, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 90: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2016.
- 1985 10 yuan, silver panda
- 1985 50 yuan, gold half panda
- 1985 100 yuan, gold panda
- 1987 10 yuan, Year of the Rabbit
- 1987-Y 10 yuan, 1/10 oz gold panda
- 1987-S 25 yuan, ¼ oz gold panda
- 1987-Y 25 yuan, ¼ oz gold panda
- 1987-Y 50 yuan, ½ oz gold panda
- 1987 50 yuan, silver Year of the Rabbit
- 1987-S 100 yuan, 1 oz gold panda
- 1987 1000 yuan, 125th birthday of Zhan Tianyou
- 1987-Y 100 yuan, 1 oz gold panda
- 1987-S 100 yuan, 1 oz platinum panda
- Coins and currency dated 1987
- return to coins of China